Thursday 28 January 2016

Morgan kin connection


I only created my new blog just the other day, but already found a probable connection with distant relative on my mother's Staats side, a fellow family researcher in Pennsylvania.

While creating my blog, I was joining relevant blogs and genealogy groups on Facebook, including the New Netherland Colonial Dutch Settlement Genealogy Group.  After posting a query about my Abraham Staats ancestor, I was contacted by the above-mentioned gentleman.  Despite the fact there seemed to be a zillion Abraham Staats floating around the New World then, by comparing information this researcher and I do indeed appear to be related, although one missing record on my side must be verified.  I must notify another relation about this development, who by lucky circumstance was a close childhood friend while we were growing up in Venice, Florida.

In the meantime I also joined a Morgan family group.  My maternal great-grandmother Clarinda (Clara) Morgan Staats (1851-1939) married William C. Staats (1856-1937).  By another coicindence, this same Staats kinsman also has a PA-based Morgan in his family tree in the same date range.  His great grandfather x3 was a gold gilder and printer of presidential portraits etc. in Philadelphia in the early to mid- 1800s.  So related or not, fascinating stuff.

As for genealogy tips, although it can often contain family link misinformation, I do like to trawl through the website Find A Grave, where I found the above grave images of Clara Morgan and her husband, William Clinton Staats, both buried in Cincinnati's Spring Grove Cemetery.

www.cemeteryrecordsonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment